Curriculum and Instruction
- We developed a Champion Profile with stakeholder input to outline the core competencies and skills that our Champions (students) should have when they transition from OPA to high school and beyond. The core competencies include: Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Communication, Creativity, Character, and Civic Engagement.
- In 2022-23 we are implementing our OPA Capstone Project / digital portfolios to measure success in the Champion Profile core competencies and to give our students the opportunity to showcase their work! More to come!
- Our teachers utilize Thinking Maps, a set of 8 visual patterns that correlate to specific cognitive processes. They are used across all grade levels and content areas to build the critical thinking, comprehension, and communication skills necessary for academic success in every domain. Understanding Thinking Maps
- We are currently implementing Write from the Beginning as a whole-school, comprehensive writing program that leverages Thinking Maps to build a strong foundation for writing across all genres and content areas. More information regarding Write from the Beginning:
- Helps students develop their ideas and organize their thinking prior to writing
- Develops critical and creative thinking skills that are foundational to good writing
- Prepares students to write rich narratives, as well as written responses for both literary and informational text
- Develops critical writing and communication skills necessary for success in college and the workforce
- Builds a whole-school culture for effective writing with a vertically aligned, developmentally appropriate curriculum
English Language Arts
Grades K-5: California Reading Wonders (2017), McGraw Hill Education
Grades 6-8: StudySync (2017), McGraw Hill Education
Grades K-5: Ready Classroom Math (2020), Curriculum Associates
Grades 6-8: EdGems Mathematics (2019), EdGems Math LLC
Grades K-8: Amplify Science (2019), Amplify Education, Inc.
Grades K-5: California History-Social Science myWorld Interactive K-5 (2019), Savvas
Grades 6-8: California History-Social Science myWorld Interactive Secondary (2019), Pearson (Savvas)
Grades K-3: California Reading Wonders English Learner (2017), McGraw Hill Education
Grades 4-8: Inspire Literacy, iLit (2018), Pearson K-12 Learning
Seat-based: Realidades (2014), Savvas
Virtual Learning: Autentico (2018), Savvas