Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS)
MTSS is a comprehensive framework that focuses on developing the whole child. It aligns academic, behavioral, and social and emotional learning for the benefit of all students.
MTSS isn't a specific curriculum, rather it's a proactive approach that supports the needs of ALL students, ensuring every student is provided the appropriate support to reach their fullest potential.
Some key elements of the framework:
- Increasing levels of targeted support for those who are struggling and provide appropriate support for only as long as needed. Supports are broken into 3 tiers:
- Universal support (for ALL students),
- Supplemental support (for SOME students), and
- Intensified support (for FEW students).
- A collaborative approach to student support, with teachers, counselors, psychologists, and other specialists working as a team to assess, select the best interventions, and monitor progress effectively.
- Family involvement so parents and caregivers can understand the interventions and give support at home.
- Frequent monitoring of students' progress to help determine if they need additional interventions.
What are some examples of how OPA provides support?
OPA provides many support systems for students at all stages of the continuum of support. Some examples of those provided to ALL students include:
Social and Emotional
For additional information, please visit the Orange County Department of Education webpage on MTSS.